The Pirate Chef

I'm 21, and have an Associates Degree in Baking and Pastry Arts, at Johnson And Wales University in Providence, RI. Foods always been an important part of my life, and now I'm gonna share that huge part of my life with all of you. So why the "pirate chef". It could be the bandana, it could be the mannerisms, it could be the personality, but its stuck since I was a freshman so why not?

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cake(?) Pudding

You'd think that making a box cake is simple. I mean they come premixed and with instructions. You add a total of three ingredients. Mix. Put in pan. Bake. Cool. Done? I dont know what happened, but it was my roommates birthday and our mutual friend decided to make him a cake. All three of us are pastry students. and something just went wrong. The cake came out and it was like it was undercooked, but to leave it in any longer would burn the top. So we scrapped it, and got a new box of cake (without telling the birthday boy) and this time I made the cake. That one came out fine, but now we had this giant sheet cake that was edible but not good enough to frost and have as a cake. Ingenuity is a life saving trait sometimes. And sometimes its just a great trait to make something tasty out of a mistake.

Cake Pudding

Milk 2 cups
butter 1/4 cup
Sugar 2/3 cup
Eggs 3 whole
Cinnamon 2 tsp
Nutmeg (opt.) 1/2 tsp
Vanilla 1 tsp
Cake (small cubes) 3 cups
Raisin orBerries (opt) 1/2 cup

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees f.
2. Heat Milk in a saucepan till it films
3. add butter and melt it in
4. let cool to lukewarm
5. combine everything but the cake and the milk mix. and whip it lightly
6. slowly mix in the milk mixture
7. grease pan and fill pan with cake cubes
8. pour batter over the cake
9. bake for 45-50 mins.

Kind of a new spin on an old idea born from a mistake. Man I love when that happens

No comments:

Post a Comment